My love affair with S’mores has been a long one, but it hasn’t always been pretty. During a family camping trip, I suffered an unfortunate marshmallow related injury that left a little scar on my cheek for years. Looking in the mirror this morning, I could find no trace of it, so I suppose all is forgiven. Besides, who could resist the combination of graham crackers, gooey marshmallows and chocolate? Not me.
For most of my life, S’mores were reserved for campouts. Then I discovered that you could make a passable S’more in the microwave. Year round, nearly instant gratification. Then I saw a recipe for S’mores Bars in Family Fun magazine and the rest is history. While good out of the oven, we thought these were even better the next day.
Yield: 24 Bars
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 bag (11.5 oz) milk chocolate chips
1 large (14 oz) jar marshmallow creme
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9×13″ pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine graham crackers, flour, salt, baking powder. Add to butter/sugar mixture, beat well.
4. Spread half of dough mixture into greased pan.
5. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the dough.
6. Using a spatula, spread marshmallow creme over the chocolate chip.
7. Top with remaining dough mixture. This can be a bit tricky (or sticky!). Try flattening the dough between two pieces of waxed paper before laying over the top of the marshmallow creme. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect, or you have a few gaps.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Or don’t, but in that case, you might need a spoon.
Adapted from Family Fun